About the Institute

Statute of the Institute for the History of Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences (in Polish)

The Institute for the History of Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences was created in 1954 and has hitherto functioned under various names:

  • until 1958 –  History of Science Department, PAS
  • 1958–1974 – History of Science and Technology Department, PAS
  • 1974–1977 – History of Science, Education, and Technology Department, PAS
  • 1977–1994 – Institute for the History of Science, Education, and Technology, PAS
  • 1994–2014 – Institute for the History of Science, PAS
  • since 2014 –  L.&A. Birkenmajer Institute for the History of Science, PAS

Academic specialisations, reflecting the Polish idea of the history of science, comprise:

  • History of science
  • History of social sciences
  • History of natural and exact sciences
  • History of technical sciences
  • History of education

Research is conducted in seven research units:

The Institute for the History of Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences is authorised to confer doctoral and post-doctoral degrees (“dr hab.”) in the Humanities.

The Institute has a scientific library, and its own publishing house.

The Institute currently publishes the following academic journals:

and book series:

Contact

Instytut Historii Nauki PAN
00-330 Warszawa
ul. Nowy Świat 72, Room A09
Phone: +48 22 826 87 54, +48 22 657 27 46
Fax +48 22 826 61 37
E-mail: ihn@ihnpan.pl
NIP 525-000-87-84
Regon 000326411

 

Arrow Button Back

Notification about cookies: ihnpan.pl uses cookies files. By staying on this site, you agree to the use of cookies More lub CLOSE NOTIFICATION